- Where can I download the various Stars! patches (save into your stars directory)
- Where can I get a Stars! serial #
- Academic Bookstore \ Stockmann's
You can buy a serial number via e-mail or over the phone / fax from them.
Cost: €14.90 / £9.15 / $13.00
Payment accepted via Credit Card
Tel: Int+ 358-9-1214335 (Finland, Europe - International Rates May Apply)
Fax: Int+ 358-9-1214335
Stockmann is open weekdays 9am to 9pm, and Saturdays 9am to 6pm.
Note: They are based in Finland (but all speak English), so are GMT+2h.
(US time zones are: Eastern GMT-5 | Central GMT-6 | Mountain GMT-7 | Pacific GMT-8 hours | UK is GMT+0)
- Empire Interactive (Game Publisher)
Empire Interactive is now selling the Stars! game under the Xplosiv Label (UK cost: £5).
Note: The first batch of the Xplosiv boxes released didn't include a serial number in the box, this problem has no been corrected and all currently shipping boxes should have serials, however should you happen to be given a box from the first batch, please contact Empire on the below number and explain the situation to them.
UK: 0208 3437337 or 0800 783 0156
Overseas : 00-44-208-343-7386
- What is stored in the various Stars! game files
- gamename.hst - Host file. Contains all the player and game setup info.
Used to generate new turns.
- gamename.xy - Universe definition file. Contains all the data about the game's universe.
It is required by all players and the host, but stays the same throughout the game.
- gamename.m# - Player turn file. Contains all info about the current turn info that the player has.
This is the file a host sends to his players each turn.
- gamename.x# - Submitted turn file. Contains the list of all commands the player gave in his turn.
This is the file the player sends to the host each turn.
- gamename.h# - History file. Contains previous turn info, including scanner and graph data.
- gamename.map - Universe data text dump. Contains all planet names and locations.
- gamename.p# / .pla - Planet info text dump. Contains player known planet info (pop, habs etc).
- gamename.f# / .fle - Fleet info text dump. Contains player known fleet info.
- racename.r1 - Custom race file. Contains the race stats for a custom race.
The host requires one of these from each player before starting the game.
- The stars.ini file (in the windows directory)
- Adding newreports=1 to the [misc] section will give increased information in your text dumps and change the name of the dump files from gamename.pla to gamename.p## (## being the player number)
- Adding (or editing) a [fonts] section can cure some font problems click here for more details, here are the default settings for the various languages, though others can be substituted.
ArialBoldItalic=Arial Bold Italic
ArialBoldItalic=Arial Fett Kursiv
ArialBoldItalic=Arial fed kursiv
ArialBoldItalic=Arial Lihavoitu Kursivoitu
ArialBoldItalic=Arial Fet Kursiv
Return to Main Menu